WordPress vs Blogger
WordPress vs Blogger: which one is better?
WordPress vs Blogger: WordPress is one of the most popular CMS. It is quite popular for adding blogs in websites. Blogger is also a popular free tool by Google. When it comes to website development, it is often asked which one I should choose for their Web Development. Though both WordPress and Blogger are best established blogging platforms, offer eye catching & easy to use features and both are popular and trending as well, it is always confusing to decide which one is best option for you.
Best is nothing. It depends on your priorities and requirements. In this article, we are going to evaluate the key areas of both WordPress and Blogger so that you can easily be sure of your choice at the end of this article.
Blogging has become a craze in the 21st century. There are so many blogs over different topics and issues that you will find over the World Wide Web. However, looking for the appropriate content management system to go on with your blogging activity can be somewhat confusing. There are different popular CMS platforms available. WordPress and Blogger are two most commonly used platforms.
If you are a regular blogger, you must have used these blogging platforms at least once and you will have an idea about the features of these 2 platforms. But if you are a new in the field of blogging, you must know the pros and cons of both WordPress and Blogger.
Let us have a brief look on the basics of WordPress and Blogger:
WordPress is an open source CMS. It is based on PHP and MySQL. It is considered to be the easiest and most popular blogging system used globally in the web. WordPress was started as a platform but now it can be used to create any kind of website. WordPress was released on May 27th, 2016 by Mark Mullenweg and Mike Little. It is an open source software that anyone can download and use to create a website.
WordPress need attention at the time of setting up great design, features and security, has a medium learning curve but it gives full control to you. If you want to build an extensive and unique blog or business, it may be best choice for you.
Blogger was launched by Pyra Labs in San Francisco at 1999, Google brought it in the year 2003. It is a platform for blog publications. It utilizes multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. It is free of cost. Google host it at “blogspot.com” sub domain.
Blogger has far fewer design and functionality features, and user interface is comparatively less attractive but everything is taken care of for you. If you want simple and easy to use interface to start writing on straight, it is best for you.
Let us now compare both WordPress and Blogger so that you can easily decide which suits your requirements best:
- Expensiveness: Cost is an essential thing that matters a lot. If we discuss about the two platforms in terms of expense, obviously Blogger is better because it is free of cost. It is absolutely free till we use default URL provided by the blog. If you want to register a domain name for your website, it is going to cost you around $10 but it is optional.
WordPress is also free to use but if you want to run your website in WordPress, you have to arrange a domain name for your website and a web server to run your website online. It cost comparatively much higher. If your website is a business website, you have to upgrade web hosting services. Professional web hosting is expensive. Commercial WordPress themes and Plugins cost much.
If you are planning to run your website without financial investment, you can go with Blogger.
- Ease of access: Getting access to Blogger is very simple. If you are using a Google account, you can simple sign up to Blogger with a few clicks. If you don’t have any Google account then also it is very easy. It takes only a few minutes to sign up to Blogger. Blogger has the facility to create and manage multiple blogs with a single account.
Getting started with WordPress is not that easy. As you are responsible for hosting your website, you need to choose your web host and register your domain name. New domains often take some time to go live. After web hosting account activation, you have to install the WordPress software. In most cases, you’ll be able to install WordPress through your web host’s control panel.
If we talk about ease of access, Blogger provide everything in one place while it is a bit complicated in WordPress.
- Ease of use: WordPress require to work in the dashboard area of website, while visitors access the front end of your site. If you need any alteration in title or description of your blog, you can go to the Settings of the dashboard. URL or address of your blog can also be changed. You can easily get started with Blogger by just creating your first blog post. You can set no. of posts to display on the homepage of your blog, language, time zone and date time formatting. You can also add authors by entering email address and sending them an invitation.
Like WordPress, Blogger gives ability to publish posts and pages on your website. To get started, you need to create an about page to introduce visitors to your blog. You can do this by clicking on ‘Pages’ from the sidebar menu, click the ‘New Page’ to create a page.
WordPress and Blogger use a similar editor for creating posts and pages. Both of them shows preview before publish. Once you are satisfied with your post or page, you can publish it on the internet.
WordPress has the ability to tag and categorize your posts to describe your content better. Unlike Blogger, WordPress has a number of roles that control what level of access users have to your site. This makes it easy to create an account that only allows a user to create new posts, rather than an account that allows the user to edit existing content and make changes to how your site looks and functions.
When we talk about content publishing on blog or website, both uses similar approach. Blogger is more straightforward while WordPress provide more options. Selection depends on what you need.
- Customization feature: If you want even simple customization with your blog post or Website, it is difficult with Blogger. Blogger has a few official templates to choose and third party templates change the appearance of the website.
While in WordPress there are thousands of themes and plugins that can easily add more functionality to your website or blog. WordPress has both commercial and free themes available for almost all type of websites.
If we think about customization, no doubt WordPress is much better selection than Blogger.
- Control and Ownership: If you are running your website, it is must to know who actually own that website and those content in that website. Blogger is owned by Google. If you use blogger, definitely Google will host your website and you have to follow their terms and conditions. Google is a huge brand but in case if Google shut down its services for some reason, your website will not be in existence.
WordPress is open source and allows you to choose your own web host. each web hosting service provider have their own terms and conditions that you have to follow but if you have any problem, you can switch to another web host.
Both WordPress and Blogger provide back-up of website and both have possibilities of migration.
If you want more security and control over your website and its content, WordPress is safer option for you.
- Maintenance and Support: Maintenance & Support is an important part of any website. As we know Blogger is a service provided by Google, it require almost nothing as maintenance from your part. Though features and functionalities are limited in Blogger, but it is simple to use.
WordPress is open source with so many plugins and customization features. You can do whatever you want with WordPress. There is a large WordPress community and Support forum for assistance.
WordPress Community provide all time support and assistance that is not available for Blogger.
- Community: if you want community support for your website and want network with other users, there are sufficient blogs about WordPress publishing news, guides, tutorials, and reviews of the latest products and developments from the WordPress.
In the case of Blogger, there are very few third-party products and services to choose from, hardly any blogs to read.
If Community support is essential for you website, undoubtedly WordPress is better to choose for its huge community support.
Both WordPress and Blogger have their own benefits and limitations, best selection completely depend on the requirement of your solution. Before selection, must be sure of your decision.
“Must know the purpose of your website”: If you need just a functional blog and you have nothing to do with stylish or modern design, then Blogger may be the best option for you.
If you have to do more with your blog, then WordPress is the better selection for your project. Thousands of available plugins enable you to add essential features that will help your website to grow and stand out among the competition, high-quality WordPress themes will give your website attractive and eye-catching looks and feel.
Your financial investing, technical knowledge etc. are some important concerns you must think about before taking your final decision about your selection.
Still not sure of your selection? Need any assistance related to you Blog? Feel free to contact MSA Technosoft, find all your Website Development related Solution.